Saturday, July 26, 2008

Same old same old...

(Heavy sigh as she sits down to blog).  Art Therapy?  I can't even get a degree in this town to do that.  What about that?  What the heck?  My options are so limited here in Fresno.  But isn't this where God has me right now?  So what is his plan?  Do I trudge on getting some degree or other here in Fresno?  Do I wait until Chris is done and look for a school in a different town?  Do I just assume that since it will be next to impossible for me to get a degree here in Fresno that will allow me to be an Art Therapist that it is not within God's plan for me to do that?  There's that dang logic again.  Was it logical when he told those fishermen to drop what they were doing and follow him, into the total unknown, with no sensible way to get income, just because it was Him that called them out?  That's completely illogical.  I'm OK with that.  I don't have to function with logic.  I just need to hear that voice saying, "Follow me this way, Kim."  I will follow.  I promise.  Tell me what to do!  I'll cast my net wherever you tell me, Lord.

6 comments:

amy said...

Call around. As I understand it, art therapists start out as regular therapists, and then work on additional accreditation.

Kim Becker said...

In case you or someone else is interested, there are strict requirements to be certified. This is a link to the American Art Therapy Association website the spells out what it takes -
http://www.arttherapy.org/aafaq.html

amy said...

I knew it was pretty strict, like any psychotherapeutic specialty. I don't think most people realize how much goes into the training process. When you're "messing with people's minds" you better know your stuff. It's no joke.

I was pretty sure you could go either way: related field + specialization, or specialized program. A classmate gave a presentation on it last Fall. Option C, as they call it, requires 24 extra units on top of a 60 unit masters (or other related degree). That's a heckuva lot. And, you'd have to go get them somewhere. Where? There really aren't a lot of programs around the country. That surprises me.

Too bad you don't want to be a play therapist. The big national organization is here in Fresno. Oh well. I still think you should sit in on the ethics class next week. But trust me, I don't want to put any pressure on you.

Kim Becker said...

Yeah, so I could go somewhere else from the get-go and do a 60 unit program, or I could go to MBBS and do their 60 unit program, and then go somewhere else for 24 more units...

amy said...

I wonder how many units you could transfer from here to another program, if any. It's a hard call.

I just cannot imagine preparing for this career without an integrated program. The theological piece becomes more and more significant to me as I grow towards this profession.

Where would you go if you could could choose any art therapy program?

Kim Becker said...

I agree that an integrated program is extremely important to me. So I think I will go to MBBS. But there is a nice school just outside Portland that I would be interested in attending for the post-MA certificate program in Art Therapy. It is a private college that would cost another $25,000 for the 54 quarter unit certificate that would allow licensing as an Art Therapist. It would have to be a work of God for me to be able to attend there. Here's a link -
http://www.marylhurst.edu/arttherapy/index.php